Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fruits of my labor

Well, I did it!!! I canned some applesauce, 22 quarts to be exact. With the help of Brittney, of course. I don't think I could have gotten it done, except that she was here. And we canned some apple jelly, and then yesterday I canned some apple butter. Just call me a regular pioneer woman. I am pretty proud of the fact that I got all of that accomplished. It just makes me feel so good to see all of the jars lined up in a row. Not too shabby at all.

So here is Benjamin being the big help he is. He loved squishing the apples down to make the sauce. And if you look close enough, you can see Matthew standing in the background. (Also, that is Brittney's hand. She did not want to be in the picture. I guess I can't blame her because I don't like being in the photos myself!!!)

So one day I was feeding Matthew some yogurt and he just started to make some really cute noises with the yogurt lid. I guess that I just have to share. He is laughing, I promise.

5 comments:

Kate said...

are you sure he is laughing? :) errgg... *grunt grunt* humm...

i am so jealous about the applesauce. that is really something we need to make. what's your recipe?

Beth said...

It's really quite simple, but there is a lot of prep work to it. One thing that really helps is a food strainer. That helps because all you do is wash the apples, quarter them, cook them until soft in just a little water, then put them through the strainer, mix with sugar, cinnamon, or whatever to your taste, then put in the jars and process. Sounds easy, huh. That is one reason I wish we lived closer together, just so we could get together and can. Oh well.

Beth said...

Oh yeah, if you don't have a strainer, then you need to peel and core the apples before you cook them, but you still need to put them through some kind of a sieve. Not bad, but I'm glad that Brittney was here to help me.

Pam Emerson said...

Ok, I'm impressed. I definitely don't have your ambition. I think maybe my talent is cycling and yours is canning.... :) You definitely have a talent for it!

Beth said...

Well, you see, I just happened to have all of those apples and needed to do something with them. I think there are some more apples coming on, but these might be better for pies or to dry. We'll see if I want to go get some more and do stuff with them!!!