On this day I want to write a few of my thoughts down for you. Today was a monumental day for the Pope household. You, Benjamin, had your first FULL day of kindergarten. That's right, my little baby is all grown up. You probably overheard me telling many people in the previous weeks how excited I was for you to start school. How I was very ready for you to be in school. In fact, I would tell people how I would be doing the happy dance. I think you were ready to do the happy dance also. But Benjamin, something happened to me this morning as I got you up and ready for school way before you have ever gotten up before. I started feeling just a little melancholy and sad. Sad, but yet excited. And then, on the walk to school in the relatively cold temperature (at least for September) I relished holding your hand. I loved how you grabbed onto mine and held on tight for dear life. I knew that you were excited to go, but yet, you were scared and just a little afraid. All of the nice people from the neighborhood were so excited about YOUR big day. They all said "Hi, Benjamin" and you very shyly said hi back. I could feel you trembling, but also trying to be a brave boy. Oh Benjamin, when we got to the school ground and you saw some friends you were too excited to hold still, and yet, you still wanted me to hold you. That made my heart crack just a little because any sign of affection that I have been giving you lately has promptly been rubbed off. But, you wanted me to hold you around all of the other kids. I wished then that I could have held you forever. When the bell rang and your teacher, Mrs. Iverson, came out to line you up, you got so excited to see her. And I think you were happy to finally know what to do. As you stood in line, looking so big, I started to tear up, knowing that my little boy would soon be walking through those school doors and on to new learning and adventures. And when you finally got to walk through the doors, you had a big smile on your face. Oh, Benjamin, what a happy day for you. I am so proud of you. I know you will be a great student and friend to all you meet. Please always be my sweet Benjamin and I will always be your proud mama, cheering you on from the sidelines. I love you and I like you, little man.
Love, Mom.
4 comments:
wonder how it will be on his sEcOnd day of kindergarten????
this post made me thankful that parker isn't in school yet. as much as i want him to be, i am so glad he's not "old" enough, i get to have him for one more year! can't believe you have a kid old enough for school! where has the time gone, seriously?
What a nice post Beth! It is so cute and touching of those exciting, but yet scary feelings we all have felt walking our little ones to school! Love you guys!
glad to see you've updated in the last 3 weeks! keep it up! :)
Post a Comment