Sunday, April 17, 2011

A month of Reminiscing

So...what do you like to do on a Sunday afternoon after Church? My little guy likes to take a nap...but he likes to be prepared, you know, just in case someone is going to break in and take his puppy dog or something. You never know when that might happen and it is better to be safe than sorry....
*

*
Chad and I are celebrating our 15 year anniversary this summer. I cannot believe it has been so long. We were trying to figure something cool to do to celebrate. This summer is getting pretty full with planned trips to Va Beach to see my littlest sister, trips to Seattle to see my roommates from College, trips to SoCal to see a nephew get married, (and if I can talk Chad into it...girls camp). So you can see that our weekend options were dwindling if we wanted to have any time at all at home. So, I had been brainstorming and I suggested that we do something over spring break because Chad would not have to worry about missing his one class that is the ONLY requirement left to graduate (and we don't want to blow that one), plus we wouldn't have to worry about anyone, aka MOM, being responsible to take Benjamin to school. So we did something we have wanted to do for a looooong time...we went to a Sweet 16 Regional Championship game. We flew to Anaheim and got to watch Duke vs. Arizona and San Diego State vs. UConn. Then we got to see Arizona vs. UConn. Part of our dream was being able to see quality basketball up close and personal, and then the best part of our dream was getting to see Duke and Coach K. in person. The first half of that Duke game was really pretty cool, but then the Blue Devils disappointed in the second half. Oh well, at least we got to see them in person. And the cool thing was that we had bought our tickets before we knew who was going to get a chance to be at Anaheim. It was just the most feasible venue for us to attend. And boy, did the ticket prices go up after selection Sunday...and then again when the four teams were determined. But, we were on row 5, a little to the side, right behind the UConn and Duke bench. Definitely good times....
*

*


Mom and I got a call from my niece Lindsay and her husband Tanner saying, "Come down and watch a session of General Conference with us." So, we did. Mom and I hopped into the 'Stang, and drove to SLC on Sunday, April 3, then we watched the afternoon session of Conference, then hopped back in the 'Stang and drove home. I was home before 8 pm. Not a bad thing to do on a Sunday afternoon. Thanks Linds and Tanner for thinking of us. And I just have to say that all of the talks that sessions were speaking right to me. I know it was meant for me to be there.




*

*


What is there to do on a Saturday evening in our great city? Why, go to the Monster Truck show, of course. We wanted the boys to see the trucks in action, so we loaded up the car, stuffed our pockets full of earplugs, payed way too much money to listen to loud trucks, saw more mullets than should be legal (well, ok, we saw only 2, but one of them definitely counted for more, it was like a mullet, but then he cut the bottom of his hair so all that was left was a tail, and he was with some people wearing Blackfoot High School sweatshirts, so you knew he didn't have a chance!!!) and saw more people where the tattoo:teethe ratio was very high. It was a great time for us. We payed extra to ride in a monster truck, and the boys loved it. They wanted to ride again and again, but alas, unlike Disneyland, you had to pay each time you rode, and we just didn't bring that much cash. The show did not end until after 11 pm, and carrying one boy out in our arms and the other one still excited about seeing Monster Trucks, I'm glad we did it. I don't think I want to go back for at least two years...but the smile on the faces and the excitement in their eyes was enough to bring a tear to this momma's eyes. (Well, the exhaust and the dirt might have had something to do about that too.)





*

*


So, that is a short wrapup of all the going ons at our house for the last month. I hope ya'll enjoyed the ride.

6 comments:

Kate said...

busy month! how fun. loved the recap. tell your boys that when we drive down to nags head,along the way there is the Gravedigger headquarters and they can ride on a monster truck there, and pet goats {???}. So cool!
what exactly is your son sleeping with? :) a lead pipe?

Beth said...

Well...it's sort of a lead pipe. It's the hanger rod from our spare room closet. He normally likes to do chinups with it...but this time he was making sure no one...and I mean no one...took his puppy dog.

Pam Emerson said...

Fun! Who doesn't like Monster Trucks, right? :) I'm glad you've been able to enjoy your weekends, especially since it's going to get really busy pretty soon here!

~pam

Unknown said...

awww how fun!!!

Kimberlee said...

Your little guy LIKES to take a nap after church? I'm not certain if I find it weirder that he sleeps with a steel bar or LIKES to take a nap after church. Both have me completely confused.

P.S. Is it my turn to make appointments or yours?

Kate said...

AHEM!!! update needed pronto! must see pictures/video of benjamin's recital.

is that a {hint}?

love ya!