Wednesday, December 3, 2008

November Revisited

I know that I've been just a wee bit relaxed in the blogging world this last month. You can say that things are a little crazy around here. And I don't even have a new, cute, little, adorable addition to add to the mix like my amazing sister Kate. Can I just say that I love, love, love the hair on that little girl. But I'm a little jealous; my two boys combined do not have close to the amount that she does. Not fair!!!


So, here is what's been happening around here for the last month. I've been busy dipping chocolate with my good friends Nicole and Susan. And not just dipping, but also boxing and plating. Every time we finish one part of the process we are wishing for a hot tub. And I always say that I'm going to get Chad to buy me one (that's our little running joke). Of course, we always say this when our backs and necks are so worn out all we want to do is sit in a chair and veg out. But it is very rewarding work and I am so glad to get the opportunity to share this sweet treat with my family and friends. And it has definitely become a holiday tradition. My list of who to give to seems to be getting longer, not shorter. I think I shouldn't be so nice to so many people. Just kidding!!! So, just know that I have the chocolates boxed/plated up, and hopefully you will get it before Christmas.


I did fly down for Aunt Jo's memorial service. I am so glad that I got to remember Aunt Jo and visit with all of Mom's family. Thank you to Stefanie for letting all of us Helm's descend on you. You were a very gracious host and I loved getting to know you all again. And getting to see the house we lived in when I was a little girl was bonus. For some reason, I had heard that it had been washed away during Hurricane Katrina, but that was not the case. It looked like it was undergoing renovations. And yes, to whomever I talked to about the steps, it does still have the curved front steps. I got to walk on the beach just down from the house, though mom said that was new, and I put some sand in a bottle to bring home with me. Just a little quirk that I like to do. Maybe because I don't live anywhere near a sandy beach and I like to remember what it looks like exactly. I know, weird. Mom and Aunt Stormy and I went into New Orleans and they gave me a driving tour of our family's homes. I was doing the driving, you know, the one the least familiar with the city. And it was great to see some homes, but there was that one point, when we were driving on a dirt road, and the homes were getting more rundown and it was getting dark, and then we saw the four teenage boys, and Aunt Stormy got kind of quiet in the back seat, and she just said turn left when you can, and of course, I couldn't turn left because the roads to the left were completely closed. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but when a native New Orleanian is a little scared, that is probably when a country bumpkin from Idaho should get scared. Needless to say, I locked the doors and turned left at the same corner they were walking on. The next street over was much better, with all the houses totally redone and lots of cars parked on the streets. It is just amazing to me that there was such a dichotomy in the neighborhoods. We then drove through the French Quarter, and then went to a diner out in Metairie to have benneits (of course I am slaughtering the spelling because I am just a country bumpkin, but you get the point) and hot chocolate. What a great experience.


Then I flew home to Salt Lake and Chad was there to pick me up, then we headed south and picked up my niece Lindsay from BYU-Provo so she could spend Thanksgiving with us. It was so much fun to have Lindsay with us. She was so good with the boys and they absolutely loved her. In fact, Matthew has a hard time going to anyone except for me, and he took right to Lindsay. I wanted her to stay and not even worry about college, just to help me out with these wonderful two little boys. But, I don't think she would go for that. And I don't blame her.

Thanksgiving was great. Lindsay and I made the rolls, from scratch. Well, Lindsay did most of the work and they turned out yummo. Matt came over, (Brittney stayed home because she had an eye infection that she did not want to pass on, which totally bummed us out because we wanted to spend the holiday with her also) and we had a great dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing (yes, we did not forget it this year!!!), cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, rolls, fruit salad, a veggie tray, and pie; two kinds, pumpkin and chocolate pudding pie. It was awesome. Then that night, Lindsay and I went to see Twilight, again, and we both liked it better the second time. I'm still not to hip on how they fixed Edward's hair, but it is growing on me. And that jacket he wears, well, I just didn't care for it. I guess you can't have everything, right. The next morning, Lindsay and I got up EARLY, and got to Shopko 15 minutes after they opened, and people were already coming out with huge shopping bags. Amazing. But we got what I desperately wanted for the boys, and stood in line for an hour, and then went shopping to some other stores that had been opened for awhile, and they were much better, and I spent way too much. But it was fun. And I don't know if I will do it again. You just get in that shopping mode, and you want to buy, buy, buy. And that is so not like me. Now I need to take inventory and see what I really want and what I don't and start taking some things back. Oh the joy of overspending.


Lindsay went back to Provo on the shuttle, and I finished up dipping, then we had a fun visit with Chad's brother Kim over at his sister DeAnn's. I always say this, but we need to get together more often.


I got to play volleyball on Monday, for the first time in three weeks. That was awesome. I was getting a lot of good spikes and blocks and serves in. I wish we would have recorded it. Maybe I should take two weeks off between playing!!! But it felt good to have my normal schedule back.


So, that's about it. November in a nutshell. Hope you all enjoyed the journey. Here's some pictures of the boys.

















4 comments:

Pam Emerson said...

Beth, Thanks for posting. It is always fun to see the boys. I am so glad you guys got to hang out with Lindsay. That sounded like a lot of fun. I can't wait to get the chocolates! They sound "yummo". :)

Love,
Pam

Kate said...

very cute pictures of the boys. :) ben looks like a helm, does he not? and is that matthew sleeping, while trying to color? once again, it amazes me that your boys can just fall asleep anywhere! :)
i want to go see twilight again. i thought it would be better the second time. maybe i'll convince someone to go with me!
can't wait for the chocolates.

The Blair's said...

Beth and Chad, thanks for taking Lindsay in, she really had fun. Thanks for teaching her to cook, seeing as I never really got around to it. I'm glad she got to spend time with you guys and the boys. I wish she could have come home, but I'm also glad she was able to be there with you guys.
The boys are growing up and getting big. I have some pictures of our trip this summer that I need to post when I have an extra minute. They are at Rainer with Jheriko.

Beth said...

I'm glad Lindsay had fun, my boys can be a strain on the most understanding person, so it was nice to divert some of that energy. In fact, Matthew still misses her, he walks into her room looking for her and her stuff. Then he gets mad and throws his pacifer down when he realizes she is no longer there. Too cute. Anyway, we would be glad to have her again.
Can't wait to see those pictures!!!